Memorial United Methodist Church was
the result of a merger between the Otterbein Evangelical Brethren Church and
the Montrose Methodist Church.
1870 a group of Methodists banded together to form what was known as the
Montrose Society. They met every two weeks in the Montrose School. The group
later built a church in 1875. Since the church was not self-supporting it was
associated with the St. Agnes Mission and later with the Asbury Methodist
Church. In 1880 the church was destroyed by fire. The church was not rebuilt
until 1892. In 1907 and 1908 a new brick building was erected to house the
expanding congregation. By 1968 the Montrose congregation had once again
outgrown its building. The current congregation as of 2001 has renamed the church
Otterbein United Brethren Church was organized as a "Home Mission" by
the Reverend William Todd in October 1922. A permanent large tabernacle was
built in 1924 to house the expanding congregation. Later, in 1927, a newer
building was constructed (see photograph right). In conjunction with merger of
the Methodist Church and the United Brethren churches, the Otterbein
Evangelical United Brethren congregation merged with the Montrose Methodist
Church congregation in 1968. Since 2001, the church is operating as
Cavalry Temple Church.
new church, built at 2701 Poplar Street, was named Memorial United Methodist
than five years after Memorial United Methodist Church was built, a fire on
January 28, 1973, destroyed all of the church building except the sanctuary.
The congregation immediately made plans to rebuild and on February 24, 1974 a
reconstruction service was held with Bishop Ralph Alton in attendance. On
Sunday evening, October 10, 1976, Dr. Norman Vincent Peale presented Memorial
United Methodist Church the Guidepost Church Award. Guidepost Magazine in its
November 1976 issue said that Memorial church had earned and won the Guidepost
Church Award for its courage and dedication after the tragic fire. Memorial
United Methodist Church was called "the church that rose from the
We have recently added an office addition to our building (2009), complete with new office space, classrooms, conference room, and storage areas.